Saturday, June 23, 2018

Medina Lake RV Campground - Days 23-24

We spent two nights at Medina Lake RV campground in Lakehills, Texas - wow - I really had my reservations about coming here. It is a Thousand Trails park, and since we are members, we don't pay a nightly fee.  I'd heard both good and bad reviews, but decided that since we paid for the membership, we should at least try to check on some of the parks that were on (or at least close to) our route.  And I don't always believe reviews anyway.

The staff was great at check in.  At most Thousand Trails parks, sites are first come, first serve.  You just drive around until you find one that is available.  They provide you with a map that shows which ones have full hookups, which only have water/electric, which (if any) are 50 amp vs 30 amp.  This park was no different, but they did also tell me that they were pretty sure there were 2 pull-throughs available, and which ones they were.  The park is very big, with several different sections.  It was kind of difficult to figure out where we were going or what section we were in at times, but the drive though the park was fun anyway.  And yes, just like reviews mentioned, there were quite a few sites that were marked not to use them.  However, there were plenty of open sites.  We ended up in site F-26, which was a back in site.  It was a beautiful site, but it was not level at all.  It took us a while to get level.  (We have to use blocks - we do not have automatic levelers).   It was right next to the pull-through site they had told us about.  We liked this one better because it had more shade.  It was close to bathrooms/showers.

I loved it!  Felt like I was camping!  I love my RV, but I also love being out in nature, and enjoying the outdoors.  The sites were far enough apart that you weren't on top of each other, and definitely woodsy, and the deer all over the place was so cool.



The deer will come eat out of your hand if you have deer corn.  We didn't, but we ran into a lot of people that did.  I guess people that are staying there for a week or more go into town and buy these big bags of deer feed so they can feed them.  Most of them just through the corn on the ground and the deer just come to eat.  Its crazy to watch it!

Man feeding the deer (sorry, Jesus, that I cut off the top of your head I this photo!)


There was also a lake (hence the name of the campground?).  It was just down the road from our site. Sometimes there were boats on it, but mostly when we were there, no one was on it.





This was just a rest and relax few days, so we didn't really do much.  I worked one of the mornings, and we went to find a grocery store (strange little store that had decent fried chicken and pizza, as well).    The shower/restroom (at least the one by us) was clean and decent.

The pool was open, and looked fine, although we didn't use it.  It did have a laundry room as well, but we didn't do laundry here, either.

So, that was it.  We really enjoyed our short stay at this park.  If we come back through Texas, I would definitely want to come back.   I'd like to stay longer and have time to really explore the campground, and the area and towns around it.  I'll have to add that to my 'places to go/things to do' list.













No comments:

Post a Comment